Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre 

Museums 

The building of the Peace River Museum, Archives, and Mackenzie Centre originated as a centennial project inspired by the local chapter of the Women's Institute.  Since 1967, the museum and archives has expanded considerably thanks to the efforts of the Sir Alexander Mackenzie Historical Society.  In 2017, the museum will celebrate 50 successful years! 

Permanent Exhibits, Programs & Services

The Museum has three galleries of exhibited artifacts depicting the resiliency and diversity of the human and natural heritage in the Peace River Country.  The Mackenzie Gallery features well-known voyageur Sir Alexander Mackenzie, with original artifacts from Fort Fork [1792] and a fur press [1860]. The early Beaver and Cree Nations impact on the Europeans provides the context for this gallery. The Peace River Gallery has a diverse collection of textiles and tools used by the early residents from 1890-1970. The rocks and fossils collection of the area are also displayed here. The Main Gallery exhibits change twice a year with relevant themes linking history with contemporary topics.

The Archives as a regional collection, is comprised of documents, maps, and a rich collection of 10,000 photographs. These resources are accessible for public research on site with assistance from the Archivist.

The staff of the Museum is excited to share the social, cultural, environmental and economic history of the area through tours of the galleries and interpretive walks, curriculum-based programs, special events, and research requests.