Peace River Museum, Archives & Mackenzie Centre  

Museums 

The building of the Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre was a centennial project inspired by the local chapter of the Women’s Institute. Since 1967, the museum has expanded considerably thanks to the efforts of the Sir Alexander Mackenzie Historical Society. In 2007, 40 successful years were celebrated!

The museum has three galleries of exhibited artifacts depicting the diversity of the human and natural heritage of the Peace River Country. The Mackenzie Gallery features well-known voyageur Sir Alexander Mackenzie, with original artifacts from Fort Fork [1792] and a fur press [1860]. The Peace River Gallery has a diverse collection of textiles and tools of the early residents from 1900-1950. In the Main Gallery, the natural history story is told with rocks and fossils while the aboriginal history is depicted through a tipi display and early Cree and Beaver artifacts.

The Archives is comprised of documents, maps, and a rich collection of 10,000 photographs. These resources are accessed in the museum library by the public, schools and researchers.

The staff of the Museum is excited to share the history of the area through tours of the galleries, special events and assistance with research requests.